The main purpose of these Regulations is to attract foreign direct investment and promote Malta’s position as a worthy jurisdiction for investment. The details below outline the process for granting of Citizenship by Exceptional Direct Investment.
Applicants can choose between two options:
- An individual can apply for citizenship after expiration of 36 months residency status period.
- After expiration of 12 months residency status period.
It is important to note that a maximum quota of 400 applications (families) per year has been set with a total maximum number of applications set at 1,500.
|Part-payment of the non-refundable deposit||Residence permit||Residency Card|
Eligibility – Eligibility Payment Request Voucher (EPRV) Stage
|Due Diligence Fee||Administrative Fee|
Citizenship Stage – Investment Request Voucher (IRV)
|Exceptional Direct Investment||Administrative Fee|
|Applicant||€590,000 (36 Months Residency)||€500|
|€740,000 (Less than 36 Months Residency)|
|Applicant||* Purchase an immovable residential property in Malta||€700,000|
|* Take on a lease of residential immovable property in Malta, per annum||€16,000|
(*) – To be retained for a minimum period of 5 years from the date of issue of the certificate of naturalization
|Applicant||Donation to a registered philanthropic, cultural, sport, scientific, animal welfare or artistic non-governmental organisation or society, or as otherwise approved by the Agency.||€10,000|
Eligibility Criteria for Granting of Citizenship for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment
For you to be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be 18 years of age, or older. Eligibility may also extend to applicant’s dependents including the spouse or de facto partner, or a person with whom a relationship is held through a status which is the same as or similar to marriage, children up to the age of 28, parents of both spouses/partners and grandparents under certain terms.
- Make an investment and fulfil residential property requirements as determined in the Regulations.
- Provide proof that he/she has held residency status in Malta for at least 12 or 36 months, depending on the chosen route.
- Meet all the application requirements.
The Malta government aims to attract only people of the highest standards through the Malta Citizenship by Direct Investment and accord them Maltese citizenship. Applicants will be subject to due diligence scrutiny and expected to:
- Have a clean criminal record.
- Not have been denied a visa to a country with which Malta has visa-free travel arrangements.
- Not be deemed a potential national security risk, have a reputational risk or are subject to criminal proceedings.
Integritas Group is a multidisciplinary firm providing Citizenship By Investment (CBI), Residence By Investment (RBI), ordinary residence, corporate, trusteeship and fiduciary services to clients around the world with a special interest in assets and business in the European Union (EU). We have supported many individuals and families to relocate through the process of acquiring residence or a second citizenship. Together with our international partners and our experienced team of representatives, we deliver a personal yet highly professional service opening the door to the world’s key markets.
Feel free to contact us for further information.