The Maltese Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment Regulations has been launched, granting citizenship by a certificate of naturalisation to foreign individuals and their families who contribute to the economic development of Malta following a residence period. These Regulations are one of the most highly regarded and exclusive and grant you visa-free travel rights to more than 180 countries.
The main purpose of these Regulations is to attract foreign direct investment and promote Malta's position as a worthy jurisdiction for investment. The details below outline the process for granting of Citizenship by ExceptionalDirect Investment.
Applicants can choose between two options:
- An individual can apply for citizenship after 36 months of residency; or
- Decide for the option of less than three years of residence in Malta with a minimum of 12 months residency period.
It is important to note that a maximum quota of 400 applicants per year will be accepted with a total maximum number of applicants set at 1,500.
|Part-payment of the non-refundable deposit||Residence permit||Residency Card|
Eligibility - Eligibility Payment Request Voucher (EPRV) Stage
|Due Diligence Fee||Administrative Fee|
Citizenship Stage - Investment Request Voucher (IRV)
|Exceptional Direct Investment||Administrative Fee|
|Applicant||€590,000 (36 Months Residency)||€500|
|€740,000 (Less than 36 Months Residency)|
|Applicant||* Purchase an immovable residential property in Malta||€700,000|
|* Take on a lease of residential immovable property in Malta||€16,000|
(*) - To be retained for a minimum period of 5 years from the date of issue of the certificate of citizenship
|Applicant||Donation to a registered philanthropic, cultural, sport, scientific, animal welfare or artistic non-governmental organisation or society, or as otherwise approved by the Agency.||€10,000|
Eligibility Criteria for Granting of Citizenship for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment
For you to be eligible, you must meet several obligations, namely:
- Be 18 years of age, or older. Eligibility may also extend to applicant’s dependents including the spouse or de facto partner, or a person with whom a relationship is held through a status which is the same as or similar to marriage, children, parents and grandparents under certain terms;
- Propose to make a contribution as determined in the section entitled ‘Contribution Fees';
- Provide proof that s/he has been a resident in Malta for at least 36 months preceding the day of the issuance of the certificate of naturalisation or by exception 12 months;
- Meet all the application requirements; and
- Commit to providing proof of residence in Malta and proof of title to a residential property in Malta in accordance with the regulations.
The Malta government aims to attract only people of the highest of standards through the Malta Citizenship by Direct Investment and accord them Maltese citizenship. Applicants will be subject to due diligence scrutiny and expected to:
- Have a clean criminal record;
- Not have been denied a visa to a country with which Malta has visa-free travel arrangements; and
- Not be deemed a potential national security risk, have a reputational risk or are subject to criminal proceedings.
Integritas Group is a multidisciplinary firm providing Citizenship By Investment (CBI), Residence By Investment (RBI), ordinary residence, corporate, trusteeship and fiduciary services to clients around the world with a special interest in assets and business in the European Union (EU). We have supported many individuals and families to relocate through the process of acquiring residence or a second citizenship. Together with our international partners and our experienced team of representatives, we deliver a personal yet highly professional service opening the door to the world's keymarkets.
Feel free to contact us for further information.