From smaller vessels to superyachts, Malta is the harbour of choice in the European Union. The Integritas Group can guide you in each step toward registering your ship under the Maltese flag. We can also assist you with incorporating a shipping organisation.
Vessel Registration Services and Citizenship
Malta is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in the heart of the Mediterranean. Our ports offer a wide variety of international maritime services to yachts and vessels registered under the Malta Flag.
Here are three categories of citizenship relevant for registering your ship in Malta:
- If you are a citizen of an EU member state, registering your vessel is easy. Any person who is a citizen of a Member state of the EU and resides in Malta may register a vessel under the Malta Flag. Also, any Maltese corporate entity may register a vessel under the Maltese flag.
- EU citizens not residing in Malta and corporate entities not registered in Malta may register a yacht and/or vessel under the Malta flag provided that a resident agent is appointed.
- Citizens from non-EU countries who own a business in Malta may register a yacht under that business.
Contact us today at Integritas for more detailed information!
Categories of Yacht Registration
Transport Malta is the authority for registering your ship in Malta. They distinguish between Private and Commercial uses of yachts as follows:
- Private RegistrationThe Merchant Shipping Directorate considers a private registered yacht to be any pleasure yacht, of 6 metres in length or more, which does not carry passengers for reward and is not engaged in trade but is used for the sole purpose of the owner.
- Commercial RegistrationA commercially registered yacht is considered to be a yacht, of 15 metres in length or more, which does not carry cargo, carries not more than 12 passengers, and is operated by the owner or body corporate owning the yacht for commercial use.(http://www.transport.gov.mt/superyacht-registration/registration)
Timeline for Registration
The processing time for legal, duly-verified registration in Malta is swift! If your paperwork is in order, it should only take two days before you can hoist that Maltese maritime flag on your vessel.
There is a short provisional interval while your materials are finalised for approval.
Transport Malta writes, ”Yachts are first registered provisionally under the Malta Flag for six months (extendible for a further period, or periods not exceeding in the aggregate six months) during which period all documentation needs to be finalised.” (http://www.transport.gov.mt/superyacht-registration/registration)
Integritas’ experts are ready to organise your materials so you can hoist the Maltese maritime flag as quickly as possible. Painless, low-cost docking, calm waves, and sunny skies lie ahead!
Have questions? Contact us to see how easy it can be to register your ship in Malta.